Friday, October 9, 2009
frightening
Today I witnessed easily one of the most unsettling things ever. I was in between classes at my school, enjoying some fresh air when suddenly I heard a girl screaming. I had no idea what was happening but figured it was high school drama. When I turn around I saw four clearly older guys carrying this girl out of the schoo1, 1 had a knife and cut the principal of my school on the hand in the struggle. They held the door shut from the outside baracading the principal and the other students inthe school. The principal and a bunch of the older male students were trying to fight off the 4 men but it was futility. Chris (one of the other Volunteers) and I both just watched te entire episode in total shock and confusion the whole thing could not have been more than 2 minutes. At one point a took a step forward out of curiousity when I heard Chris say "that guy has a knife" which made me freeze. I feel awful that nothing was done on my part, truly. Unfortunatley 3 of the guys ended up carrying the girl away screaming, kicking, and yelling help. The police were called, the director was taken into an ambulance, and I can not imagine what could be happening to the girl right now. I have felt this bad few times in my life. Also, when I asked my counterpart if class was still on for the day...she said of course, as though nothing had happened. So I still have to teach 2 classes for the day, the first of which starts in about 15 minutes. I feel like my English lesson couldn't have less importance than it does today, and in juxtaposition to what I just witnessed I know it doesn't at all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Seriously - being the first PCV is not all terrible. It means that you're not stepping into anyone else's shoes AND that you get to shape an entire community's definition of being American. It's kind of like being the "token" Asian/Black/Hispanic person in America only in reverse.
ReplyDelete