Saturday, October 24, 2009

Counterpart Conference week











Finally back home after a long week of counterpart conferences in Almaty, certainly glad it’s over, swearing in and site departure are a week away. It was somewhat comforting to meet my counterpart, but very difficult at times working with her throughout the conference. She was more than friendly, approachable, excited to work together, and cooperative, but at times I felt like I had to pull her through every activity of every workshop in the conference. When our country director gave a speech she asked me if he was George Bush….I had to do my best not to burst into laughter on the spot…but later did. It seems like people in Kazakhstan are under the impression that George Bush is all powerful, can be in multiple places at once, and has some sort of weird divine right where he will always be in one way or another, in power….thankfully not the case.
Maybe because this is the first time she has worked with a PCV she still seems very unclear about some of the procedures, rules, and things that PC wants us to follow. At the same time she is very receptive to new ideas, is very accommodating (she made coffee for me at every break), and pleasant to work with. I think this assignment will require me to be much more assertive, decisive, and confident in my own actions. I believe it will definitely give me much more free range than many of the other volunteers, especially those who are working with a teacher who is on their 4th or 5th volunteer, will have.
Another comforting aspect of this assignment is even if I only get from 1% to 2% towards the right direction it will still be progress (in fact double the amount of progress in my example). I think I may have to settle for lesser end goals (Originally when I imagined this two years I thought my students would be able to read Alexander Dumas or something by the end of my time here….now I am hopefully going to get at least to Curious George, either way it is progress despite how small it could be.
I have also gotten host family information about my choices for who I will be staying with for the first 6 months at my permanent site. Family A is a single 51 year old business owner in a 2 bedroom apartment, Family B lives in a supposedly big two story house with 3 children under 9 years old, and a dog. Right now I am leaning towards living with the older woman, but will have to wait and see.
Being in Almaty was entertaining, the one evening Chris and I went ate at a Chinese restaurant which was easily the best meal I can remember having in a long time, but if I had ordered in at home would of thought it was sub-par……. funny how perspective changes everything. I know I will not be getting that type of food for quite some time (Maybe March at the next round of conferences?). Rooming with Chris was awesome; we had a blast with a few of the other volunteers.
Chris and I definitely have a good friendship and are able to talk about things outside of our Peace Corps day to days. In one of our conversations Samuel Dalambert, came up somehow…first time I thought of him since being in Kazakhstan. Upon thinking of Samuel Dalambert and his sub par basketball skills I became humored, sickened, nostalgic, frustrated, and a touch homesick.
The reality is pre service training has been a very unrealistic representation of what life in the Peace Corps is usually like (especially with me being about 5 hours away from the closest Americans). At times I am sure the road (and especially 2 day train ride alone to site) will be very unsettling, uneasy, and lonesome. I am positive this winter will be one of the more difficult experiences of my life, but am accepting it as a challenge, and ultimately something I know I can do. I know at times not being able to communicate will be difficult, the sun only being up for about 6 hours a day might bring out The Shining in me, but I think that with the right attitude, mindset, and perspective I will be fine.
One a few other random tangents………If you were planning on sending me any letters or packages…DO NOT SEND THEM TO THE ADDRESS I GAVE OUT…I am moving next week……...I hope the Phillies repeat and will definitely introduce my class to the concept of a hopeful two World Championships in a row. I have posted a few random pictures from the conference certificate, my PC ID card, and some other good pictures in general from my trip thus far.
One more thing…………HAPPY BIRTHDAY ABBY AND MATT…I LOVE THE BOTH OF YOU ANDWISH I WERE THERE.
Love and miss everyone, and would like to thank anyone who feels at all compelled to read this, please be in touch with me

“Meanwhile life-real everyday life, with its essential concerns of health and sickness, toil and rest, and its intellectual preoccupations with thought, science, poetry, music, love, friendship, hatred, passions-went on as usual, independent and apart from all potential reforms.”

No comments:

Post a Comment